Sickle Cell Anemia This a type of blood disorder in which red blood cells are not of normal shape but assume shape of a sickle. Hence is the name sickle cell anaemia (SCA). Due to this disease RBCs become rigid and fail to perform their normal functions. This can lead to various life threatening complications in such individuals.
SCA is a hereditary disorder caused by the mutation in haemoglobin gene.
- Pain in bones, chest, joints
- Frequent infections
- Slow down in growth
From Ayurvedic perspectives, SCA is a disease that occurs due to beejadosha i.e. abnormality in sperm or ovum. The beejadosha leads to a defect in Raktavaha srotas of the body as a result of which blood cells do not have normal characteristics.
Diet & Lifestyle :
- Individuals having SCA should prefer the food and lifestyle that promotes the production of haemoglobin. Eating iron containing items like pomegranate fruits is good to boost Hb formation.
- Most of the fruits & vegetables contain vitamins and folic acid which assist in production of haemoglobin. Their intake is good for SCA patients.
- Doing Pranayam ensures that the body cells receive enough oxygen regularly. Exercises should be done regularly but excess exercises should be avoided.
- Extremely cold or hot climatic conditions should be avoided as such climate can trigger crises in body.
- Take any medicine on doctors advice only, after confirming that it is unlikely to have any negative effect on haemoglobin.