Many of you must be unaware of this disease called Thalassemia. It is a genetic blood disorder inherited and passed down through families. In this our body makes an abnormal form of hemoglobin, a protein that carries oxygen in red blood cells. This abnormality causes excessive destruction of Red Blood Cells (RBC) leading to anemia. Anemia is a disease in which our body has scanty or very less normal RBC. People with thalassemia have less blood cells as compared to normal. Approximately 3-4 crore Indians are thalassemia carriers and 8000-9000 Thalassemia major are born every year in India.
- Paleness of Skin
- Recurrent infections
- Poor appetite
- Enlarged organs (hepatomegaly, splenomegaly)
- Facial bone deformity
- Shortness of breath
According to Ayurveda Agnideepana, Pachan, Rakta Prasadana and boosting the immunity treatment is followed.
- Shunthi (Ginger)– It increases the digestive fire and helps in improving digestion thus increasing the appetite of thalassemia patient.
- Wheat Grass– This can be taken as a juice early morning empty stomach, or wheatgrass soaked water can be taken which helps in normalising the shape of red blood cells and increase hemoglobin. It helps in reducing the number of blood transfusions.
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia)– It has the property of Agnideepana (enhancing digestive fire), rasayan (rejenuvator), sangrahi (improves absorption in intestines). These properties help in boosting immunity and absorption which in turn helps in blood formation.
- Triphala– As it is tridoshaghna it is an adjuvant in the management of thalassemia. It is a hepatospleno protector, prolongs life span of RBC’s.
- Amalaki– Amalaki in combination with other ayurvedic drugs acts as rasayana, antioxidant and hepatoprotective which aims in better life quality till bone marrow transplant and delays blood transfusions.
- Laksha (Laccifer Lacca)– It is obtained from animals. It is an excellent liver tonic when taken along with other ayurvedic herbs. It strengthens the bones and regains bone density. This drug along with other combinations works well in overgrown bones in thalassemia.
- Vitamin D– helps in absorption and assimilation of calcium in the body helping in bone deformity in thalassemia.
- Folic acid– This should be introduced in the diet as folic acid helps in blood formation increasing the RBC’s and helping in thalassemia. Folic acid rich foods like egg yolk, sweet potatoes, whole grain bread, dried beans, bananas, peaches etc. should be taken regularly in diet.
- Bottle gourdis a wonderful vegetable useful in curing many diseases. Bottle gourd juice when taken with apple juice gives amazing result in thalassemia.
- Manuka - This increases the Agni i.e. digestive fire and helps in digestion hence used in curing digestive disorders like anemia, thalassemia Jaundice etc.
- Iron and Zinc should be included in diet in Thalassemic patients.
- Goat Blood Enema– it’s a new technique for the patients suffering from thalassemia introduced by government ayurvedic hospital vadodara. Here goat blood enema is given to the patients as it reduces number of blood transfusions. This technique reduces the risk of infections passed through blood transfusions.
- Other ayurvedic drugs which help in blood production are sariva (Hemidesmus Indicus), manjistha( Rubia cordifolia) haridra (circuma longa), patola (Tricosanthe diocia),musta(Cyprus rotundus), kutkii(Picrorrhiza kurroa), tulsi(Ocimum sanctum), Nimba (Azadiracta Indica), Bhringraj (Eclipta Alba), khadeera (Acacia catechu), Pipali (piper longum) , kumari (Aloe Vera) etc.